Skip to main content

TDF2020 2.0 - Eider

Well, the Tour 2.0 is over and I came in dead last.  Actually I'm not anywhere near the finish line.  But I'm going to continue to Ride.  My lack of progress not with standing, I'm enjoying reading about and documenting these breeds.

Eider wool comes from the German Whiteheaded Mutton.  They were specifically developed in the mid-1800's as a dual breed wool and meat sheep that would be well suited to the wet and windy conditions of the Wilstermarsch in Germany.  The sheep need to be rugged and to protect them against the weather, they have a rough fleece with a 2 inch staple length.  The white wool has a good crimp which is unusual for such a rough wool.

Eider was originally the name of a sea duck known for its expensive and soft down that can be found in the famously warm and toasty eiderdown blankets.

Short Forward Draw 2-Ply (L)     Short Forward Draw Navajo Chain Ply (R)

Eider wool is categorized as a medium wool of 27 to 40 microns. I found it to spin very nicely and the feel of resulting fabric swatch  to be suitable for hats and mittens.



Comments