Skip to main content

TDF2020 2.0 - Day ?? - Zwartbles

 Zwartbles, (Zwart-Black, Bles-Blaze) is the 6th breed in my 30 Breed Sample from  Woolgatherings.com.  The breed originated in North East Holland and was imported to the UK in the 1990's.  They are a dual purpose sheep kept for meat and milk with the addition of a very thick fleece with plenty of crimp.

The fleece is medium to fine with a 4 to 5 inch staple.  It ranges from dense black to chocolate brown.

I enjoyed this wool.  Very easy to spin and a really lovely natural brown color.  
Lesson Two over at SheepSpot was Drafting Methods. I learned that my default is a Short Forward Draw (SFD).  I had to concentrate in order to use a Short Backward Draw (SBD) and I didn't seem to get the consistency SBD. I don't know if that's just because I need practice or if it's the nature of the method.  I'll keep trying and see if my results change. 

The phot doesn't show it as much as the naked eye but the Short Backward Draw is a bit fluffier/squishier.
Knits up nice too.


Comments