Skip to main content

TDF2020 2.0 - Day Three - Manx Loaghtan

 

This Tour and this 30 Breed Sample is teaching me patience.  In the past I have mostly spun Merino or Alpaca or a blend of these and pretty much spun the same technique. Because I only have one ounce of each breed, I have to adjust my technique, tension, drafting method, treadle speed all the time.  It is certainly a learning experience and makes me think.

Today's fiber is Manx Loaghtan (pronounced loch-tan). 

 I thought Jacob sheep were the only ones with more than two horns!  

This fiber is a bit shorter than the Cheviot or Devon and took a little adjustment. It has some nice crimp so 'stuck' together nicely and fluffed up nicely after it's bath.

I've been making a Spinning Diary with these samples. 



                  

I was spinning while visiting a friend who is recovering from hip surgery and she suggested I knit a swatch with some of my sample.  Brilliant!  Why did I not think of that? 


I have never knit anything from my handspun, (I just like spinning!) so this was another learning experience for me.  I wasn't impressed with my spinning (another reason I didn't knit with it) but I think it knit up rather nicely!

I am going to make some sort of book or binder for future reference when completed.







Comments