Skip to main content

TDF2020 2.0 - Day? Oh Who Cares - Black Welsh Mountain

Photo from here.

First, I've joined Sasha Torres SheepSpot's The Flock, 'Bust Your Spinning Rut Challenge' (like I don't have enough going on with Tour de Fleece, knitting 4-Ever in Blue Jeans, keeping my newly retired husband in chores and life). But I joined because, I don't know how to make the yarn I want. I don't know why I would use Combed Top vs Roving, the different results when Drafting Short Forward Draw, Short Back Draw, or Long Draw.  Not to mention different plying methods.  These are things I need to know and learn before I can make a yarn I can actually spend the money to buy enough fiber to make a garment from. 

Second. This 30 Breed Sample has been sitting in my stash for over a year.  And by that I mean in a plastic bag stuffed into a plastic tote with the rest of my fiber stash.  That Crazy Sheep Lady recently posted a video (which I cannot currently find) on how she uses her kettle to steam prepped fiber she has had stashed to fluff it back to life.  So I gave it a go.  Look at the difference!
  

Storing your fiber as I do will compact it down. Steaming just opens the fibers back up making it easier to work with. I have to remember that trick.

So. Black Welsh Mountain Sheep...

Photo from Here

Black Welsh Mountain Sheep is a medium sized sheep raised for its wool and meat. The fleece ranges in shades from dark to reddish black. The wool is 2 - 4 inches long and is a classified as a medium to course wool.  It makes it perfect for outerwear and other projects that require durable wool. They are the only completely black breed of sheep in the world. Originally bred in the United Kingdom, they are small, hardy, easy to handle and are known for having well flavored mutton.

I had some real issues spinning this from the Fold and I'm not sure why. So instead of continuing to frustrate myself  I quit trying with this fiber.  I found it a very enjoyable spin after that.  

(I also need to learn to take better photos of my work.)
Again this is a medium coarse wool.  Good for outer-layer garments, weaving and felting.

Comments