Skip to main content

TDF2020 2.0 - Day Four? - Masham

OK, so I'm a little behind the guys racing, sue me, LOL! 

Masham,

pronounced massam is a cross of Teeswater or Wensleydale ram with  Dalesbred or Swaledale ewes.  The fleece is very long and lustrous and the breed is found mainly in the north of England.  The fleece is suited to combing due to its length and is used in speciality products due to its limited availability.  The fineness varies from approx 38 - 44 microns and length approx. 150 - 380 mm.

The Masham is a hardy sheep, with a lustrous soft fleece and a staple length of between 4 and 9 inches.  Masham wool is a good for those who want to get started spinning their own yarn due to its good staple length.  Despite this, Masham isn't the softest wool around, so you'll usually find it used in a blend with softer fibers, or used in carpets.


I liked this wool, it was easy to draft and would make a great outer-layer sweater.

I signed up for a Virtual Spinning Seminar hosted by Sasha Torres over at SheepSpot.com I learned a couple of things (like measuring twist angle) and will be adding those to my Spinning Journal. 

Comments