Skip to main content

Tour de Fleece 2020 2.0 - Devon

 

 Here we go again, well sort of.  Due to COVID-19 the actual bike race in France did not run as scheduled.  We Fiber Spinners 'rode' the TdF2020 anyway.  And we are 'riding' again this time "with" the guys on bikes :) 

I have a tendency to purchase Polwarth, Merino, Bluefaced Leicester or Alpaca and I tend to spin them all in the same way/method. Hence this Tour Challenge.

I started with the 1 ounce sample of Devon from my 30 Breed Sample from Wool Gatherings.

As the sample doesn't say, I am assuming it is from a longwoolled (left) sheep and not a closewoolled (right).


 

 "The Devon Longwoolled is a breed of domestic sheep from the United Kingdom. The breed is raised for meat and its long wool. They were developed by crossing Leicester Longwool with Southam Nott and Bampton Nott." Wikipedia

"This wool is attractive to spinners for weaving rugs. It can also be used for dolls hair, needle felting and to create a variety of home furnishings."

I can see how it would be great for weaving, rugs in particular. It is most definitely NOT something I would want next to the skin. It is much more like horse tail hair than wool, IMHO.  I did not have much success in needle felting with it.

My first attempt at spinning the Devon was... unrewarding.

So HAIRY!


But like everything else, practice makes...well not perfect but...better.

unwashed

I spun the entire sample in a variety of ways.  I think the From the Fold sample turned out best, which surprised me. And I like how the Navajo Ply turned out.


  
(washed samples)

This Tour de Fleece is going to be educational, interesting, and FUN!

Comments

Post a Comment