Skip to main content

TDF2020 2.0 - Day Two - Cheviot

 Day Two - I reached into my 30 Breed Sampler from Wool Gatherings and came up with Cheviot.

"The Cheviot is a breed of white-faced sheep which gets its name from a range of hills in north Northumberland and the Scottish Borders." Wikipedia

Google Image

Fine Fleeces
Cheviots produce generous fleeces of white wool which is preferred by mills because its fineness, crimp, and length of staple give it superior spinning and combing qualities, and its low grease content causes less shrinkage in scouring.  The fleece is usually grades 1/4 to 3/8 blood combing and is usually from four to five inches in length.  Rams will normally shear 9 to 13 lbs., and the ewe will produce fleeces of 8 to 10 lbs.


This fiber felt like silk compared to yesterdays Devon but it is a medium-coarse wool suitable for outerwear, rugs and blankets.


The Cheviot has more 'grip' (crimp?) and was easier to control the draft and twist.

Sample on far left is unwashed

Again, the From the Fold method looks the best to me.  I'm surprised at these results. The Fold method is not something I use on any regularity. I thought it was best suited for shorter fibers but I'm learning differently.  I'm not the best spinner by far but I hope this Tour will help me improve and find my groove.


Tomorrow - Manx Loaghtan

Comments

  1. I've never been able to spin from the fold. I should work on it on a challenge day this tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took a lesson from Kate Larson. It's magic!

      Delete

Post a Comment