Skip to main content

Tour de Fleece 2020 and COVID-19

Every thing is different this year. Every festival (canceled), every event (canceled), every outing (mask up!).  Even just grocery shopping is a challenge (one way isles and 6 foot social distancing).  Thank you COVID-19.  But we must try to continue on as normal as much as we can. So, since I don't actually have to leave my house to join the Tour de France Fleece, I dusted off Fanty and joined the Ride.  

Fanty sounds kind of decrepit in the video but IRL he has a very soothing clack, clack, clack.

I'm not getting in much mileage but I am spinning every day.  There are no hard and fast rules, just guidelines: 

Spin every day the Tour rides, if
possible. Saturday June 27 through
Sunday July 19th. Days of rest:
Monday, July 6th and Monday, July
13th. (Just like the actual tour.)

I don't spin a lot.  Actually I usually only spin during the Tour. I decided to start with a couple of the 30 different Samples I picked up from Wool Gatherings a few years ago. 

These 1 ounce samples are a great way to try out all the different breed fibers. 

I had never heard of Devon sheep before. And once I got my hands on this sample and a quick Google search I understand why.  The sheep are raised primarily for meat. This fiber sample felt like I was spinning with horse hair. It's not something I'd ever want a 'next to the skin' garment to be made from.  It'd be best suited for an outer garment or felting I think.

After that 'horse tail' fiber I wanted something soft and Jacob is always lovely. Light, soft and springy.

This Shetland was very nice too.  The Shetland Isles are best known for their multi-coloured knitwear (made using Fair Isle knitting) and for the traditional knitted lace shawls which are so fine, they will pass through a wedding ring!


And that was enough sampling!  On to the TOUR!  I chose this beautiful, hand-painted, 100% Polwarth from Briar Rose Fibers to begin.  I have about 16 ounces of roving and it was speaking to me.

I first met Chris of Briar Rose at a fiber fair at least 10 years ago and I always check festival vendor lists to see if she will be there.  Love her products!  She has ready made, hand-dyed yarn too. Go check out her website!

I got 3 bobbins full of singles from the 16oz of fiber.  


I need to learn to spin thinner so I can make a thinner 2-ply.  I know it looks thin but...


It doesn't make a 2-ply as thin as I'd like.

And I'm not nearly as consistent as I want to be. But it all takes practice and if I took my wheel out more often I might improve faster.  

Well, thanks to COVID-19 I now have the indoor time I need to get that practice.



Comments