Skip to main content

Natural Eggs

I started buying my eggs from a local source.  They are 3 times expensive as the cheapest ones at the grocery but only $1 more than the store bought 'free range, cage free, organic'.   To be completely honest, I haven't done a side by side taste test but I'm not sure I could taste the difference in massed produced eggs and free range farm eggs.   I just like supporting local growers and I'm looking into more ways I can do this.  Last time I went to pick up a couple dozen the owner said 'Give me a minute to wash these. They' re so fresh they got feathers on 'em!'   I explained that I didn't plan to eat the shells  :D

 When you buy eggs at the store, they're all the same.  Same size, same shape, same color, same same same.  Not so with farm raised...




I never realized the how much sorting was involved.  And that different breeds of chickens laid different colored eggs.  I've discovered that the lighter in color, the thinner the shell.  One gentle tap on the side of the frying pan will crack it.  But those dark brown ones?  You need to whack those on the counter to break 'em, LOL!

And I have never, ever gotten a double yolk egg from the grocery store.


So go!  Go Now!  Seek out your local egg source and get you some eggs!


Comments

  1. I try to buy brown eggs whenever I can...there is no difference in taste but the yolks are brighter, the shells are harder and they're pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment